This two-part training series, in partnership with Resilient Futures, is intended to support 2022/2023 educators, administrators, and school employees within North Aurora Public Schools in Aurora, CO so that we can increase trauma-informed practices when dealing with negative child behavior in class.
Part 1 - Foundational Training: Understanding Stress and Trauma
45-minute course offered via Laura McArthur, PhD with Resilient Futures as your presenter. You will leave part 1 with a basic understanding of:
- Trauma-informed school communities;
- Core guiding principles;
- Shifting our perspective;
- What is stress and toxic stress;
- What is trauma, complex trauma, and where does it stem from;
- Trauma and the brain;
- Childhood development and survival brain; and
- How positive early experience strengthens systems.
Part 2 - Trauma Informed Lens and Children with Developmental Disabilities
45-minute course offered via Erica Dennison with The Arc of Aurora and Laura McArthur, PhD with Resilient Futures as your presenter. You will leave part 2 with a basic understanding of:
- Youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD);
- IDD and communication;
- IDD and behavior;
- Trauma and disability; and
- Opportunities to support and transform.
What to expect
- Two 45-minute, self-paced, video slide-based presentation;
- Laura McArthur, PhD with Resilient Futures, and Erica Dennison, The Arc of Aurora as your presenters;
- Two Certificates of Completion for Part 1 and Part 2;
- Closed captioning in English; and
- Spanish Subtitles
Who should take this course?
- Educators, administrators, paraprofessionals, and other school personnel who work specifically at a North Aurora school within Aurora Public Schools in Aurora, Colorado.
- NOTE: Please do not enroll in this course unless we have specifically outreached you. This content is specific to the intended audience of North Aurora educators within Aurora Public Schools in Colorado.
This work is made possible through support from the Denver Foundation Transforming Safety Grant. A program of the Colorado Department of Local Affairs.